Formerly known as Adria Palace built between 1914 and 1918 to host the Italian Adria Insurance Company, this pre-modern office and apartment building was designed in 1913.
The 14 apartments of the highest standard were accessible from the back of the building on Deák Ferenc street, while the entrance to the offices was in the front, on Erzsébet square.
On the ground floor there were luxurious shops, and studios in the attic.
Thanks to its fine elegance, classical nobility and ideal location, this stone covered building not only represented an outstanding architectural quality, but has also been declared a historic monument.
The Adria palace was badly damaged by a bomb during World War II and was partly burned down.
The apartments and shops came to an end when the headquarters of the Budapest Police moved in and stayed until 1997.
After the reconstructions works started in 1998, Le Méridien Budapest Hotel five star luxury hotel opened in 2000. Erzsébet square was named in 1857 after Queen Elisabeth (Erzsébet), known as empress Sissi.